Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Cheerful Receiver

One of my favorite John Wayne movies is “McClintock” (1963). It’s not quite the shoot ‘em up flick that the Duke is known for but it has a lot of classic lines. Of course it is set in the old west and there are Indians. Sorry, I’m not trying to be politically incorrect but that is what they were called back then. At one point in the movie, McClintock is asked to speak (translate) for the Comanche chiefs in front of an Indian Commission trying to decide whether to move the whole tribe to Ft. Sill or not. It sets out what I would imagine is a principle of leaders of tribes at that time. I think it also described what “used” to be a philosophy of people in the era just prior to mine. I tried to transcribe while watching the video on YouTube so I hope there are not too many errors. But you can watch the whole movie on YouTube as it is part of the public domain. So, here it is, pilgrim:

            “This that the white man calls charity is a fine thing for widows and orphans but no
            warrior can accept it for if he does, he is no longer a man. He is nothing and better 
            off dead. You say to the Comanche you are widows and orphans, you are not men.
            And, we the Comanche say we would rather be dead. It will not be a remembered
            fight when you kill us because we are few now and have few weapons. But we will
            fight and we will die Comanche.”

Those that we call the “greatest” generation, those who endured and won World War II, used to understand this principle. Many would rather have swept streets, as many did during the Great Depression, than receive charity. Our forefathers and the Comanche lived by Paul’s words from 2 Thessalonians 3:10: “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” The responsibility for provision for the family was up to the man. Widows and orphans do not have anyone to take care of them and thus can and should accept charity when offered and needed. I am not trying to pick on slackers or those who receive charity. Although I will point out that the government subsidies cannot be considered charity!

One of the profound insights I have gained from being in the ministry runs counter to the aforementioned principle. I am not remarking on the dependency class but on those who occasionally get in a tight spot and need help or are just blessed by others generosity. I think God loves a cheerful receiver too! Here is why. It is hard, when you need or receive charity of any type or form, to accept that which your own efforts and energy have not produced. We hate to admit we needed help. The recent comment by President Obama that “you didn’t build that” irks self-made, self-sufficient people. In giving we tend to take for granted the blessings God has given us. Our superiority in being able to give makes us more content, more able to share. To receive from others tends to make us feel inferior. Yet, in receiving, we should become more aware of the mercies of God, of how he provides and takes care of all our necessities.

Being a cheerful receiver almost feels like we are taking advantage of those who seek to bless us. I used to feel that way. While I am not a Comanche I am a man. The responsibility to take care of my family is my responsibility. I know it’s a guy thing. Men are from Mars and this is a Martian principle. Our pride is hurt when we are not able to do that. It is humbling and drives us to our knees. Yup, there you have it. Being humble is difficult for many people, especially men. There is nothing new in that statement. But Jesus does not call us to be proud. There are times in life when we need to be grateful. Again this is a God thing. We may not like where the charity comes from (someone else), or feel guilty about accepting it (pride), but we are provided for. There are times when we simply need to admit we require help. In many situations, this may lead to soften even the hardest heart. When we receive it gratefully, we model the behavior of Jesus. He allowed a woman of questionable reputation to anoint his feet with oil and wipe them clean with her tears. It was an extravagant gesture and Jesus accepted her gift with gratitude and thankfulness. Others were not as cheerful at her act and they were duly rebuked. (Mark 14:1-9)

When I was in youth ministry a thousand years ago I was given a Christmas gift of cash – please don’t tell the IRS – from a parishioner at the church. She was a grandmother and none of her family attended our church or was part of the ministry. I was a little overwhelmed by the size and generosity of the gift. I complained to the rector that that money could be used for better, more kingdom oriented purposes than giving it to the youth minister. A noble and pious statement if ever there were one! I must admit that I do not remember much of what that man ever said to me and what I do remember never seemed to be encouraging. It suffices to say that he and I very rarely saw eye to eye. But he told me that if I refused this gift I would be denying her the blessing of giving it. She was following Paul’s advice to be a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7) It was tremendous blessing to her to be able to do this. She had been blessed and wanted to pass that blessing along to others. I was cut to the quick. Who was I to deny her such a blessing? I learned a valuable lesson that day that I have tried to practice ever since.

I know God has richly blessed me and I want to pass that blessing on. But I also want to be able to bless others when they cheerfully want to give to me. In the end, it is not about me but about what God has enabled them to do. Through it, we all give glory to God for his being ready, willing and able to provide for all our needs because he is a God who will meet all our needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19) As the Comanche say, “charity is a fine thing for widows and orphans but no warrior can accept it for if he does, he is no longer a man.” I still tend to believe that. Yet, I have been convinced that, at times, being a man means accepting the fact that you need help and in receiving you are allowing others to be blessed by blessing you. While I don’t want to be dependent on the government or other people, I want to thank God for those people who have blessed me in their giving. You were cheerful in giving and I am cheerful in receiving. I thank God for you because of your generous actions I have become more aware of God mercies. It’s a hard lesson but without it how can we ever be cheerful for what Jesus has given us?

No comments:

Post a Comment